Sunday, July 12, 2009

Move over..Joe is 6!!



I cannot believe my sweet 6lb 10oz baby is 6 years old. He had such a good time yesterday despite the rain all day. They still enjoyed the slip-n-slide as well as about 120 water balloons. It was crazy and loud but man did they have fun!! Joe decided he wanted a construction themed party so I did my best and thought everything turned out really cute :) There was of course cake and a pinata too :)
Pretty good Mom :)
Whack it!

We liked it too!!

A friend shared her son's birth story and things she loved about him....just another idea I will steal from her (thanks Heather :)). Joe was deployed to Iraq and I had had a pretty complicated pregnancy with Joe. I was life flighted to Topeka for 2 weeks after going into preterm labor and suffering a heart condition. So by the time 37 weeks came around I was ready to have that baby. A good friend of mine was visiting me and she was almost as determined and decided to take me out for buffalo wings and a 2 mile walk to get things started. So when contractions started a few hours later I was slightly hopeful but didn't think it would happen. My friend drove me to the hospital at about 4pm. My blood pressure was up and I was 4 cm, so the doc just decided to break my water. Woohoo!! Then after 13 hours of natural labor and 1.5 hours of pushing (yes natural people...was told I couldn't have an epidural because of hardware in my back) Joseph Ollin was born at 3:05am. I will never forget after peeing on the doctor she looked at me and said "He better look like your husband cuz he doesn't look a thing like you." There was no doubt he was his father's son and the argument over his name was settled. I couldn't name him Jacob...he was definitely a Joe. He was perfect and precious. And although he has endured a lot he continues to amaze me. Love him to pieces :)

Now to 6 things I love about 6yr old Joe
1. His smile...everyone talks about it...it lights up the room.
2. His love. This child is so loving, to his siblings, to his parents, to just about everyone.
3. His goofiness. He has an awesome since of humor and can crack me up even when I am down.
4. His eyes...they are like cool water. I think they are beautiful.
5. His toughness..I'm not sure if I could be as tough as this little boy.
6. His brain...this kid is SOOO smart I know I know every Mom says that about their kid but he has a way with numbers and I really think he has a photographic memory. He can tell you what day of the week almost any date on the calendar is...it's crazy.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Can't believe I met him when he was just 3 months old...He has gotten so big...I miss seeing him...He is the sweetest little boy! Great Birthday Party...

knlewis said...

Liz, I love the cake and your sweet babies are so cute eating their cake!! Sorry we missed it.