Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hurry up and wait...

This is an all too common theme in the Army world. Gets kind of frustrating at times. But we will power on to the beat of that slow drum. I don't think I mentioned that when Joe arrived in Korea his unit had no clue he was coming. So needless to say they didn't have a command for him in any near future. The first word we got was about a month ago that Joe would take command in March of 09. Oh boy....that means he would be home a lil over a year after that. So maybe May-June of 2010.....uh that's almost 2 years of tour...uugh. Joe decided to look elsewhere but also considered doing his 12-18 month tour and then coming home without a command and letting the Army figure it out from there. Two years is just TOOO long. Then we got word of a command in Jan 09....ok still not fun but we can deal with that (home in Jan-Feb 2010). Now we have heard of one coming up next month, unfortunately with that one he still probably won't come home any sooner (mainly because it is a longer command). Then there was the issue of R&R (a leave that most are able to get with deployments). We had been told with such a long tour he would probably get nearly a month of leave...woohooo!!! But then bad news....they didn't want to let Joe come home around Christmas like we had hoped because of some field exercises going on at the time. They also said the leave could vary from 6 days (yea right!!!) to a couple of weeks. Everything has just been a whirlwind. Now Joe says it may even be May of 09 before the leave....which isn't terrible but I kinda had my lil "I get to see my hubby clock in ________ days" set for Christmas.
Oh well.....hurry up and wait. "You never know until orders are in your hand" is what Joe always tells me. And even then things can change. I'm just a little sad...hormonal...and feeling like I am carrying a sack of horse feed around my middle chasing after two kids. So this is getting to me. Just wish they could come up with a plan. But what can I do? Thus is the life of a soldier.....and his whiny, round, pregnant wife :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Liz...praying for you...and your wait...Love, Linda