Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Baby Girl Diaper Cake


I love making these. And they make great gifts. This one is for a lady in my Sunday School class who is due about 10 days before me. Her shower is this weekend and several of us chipped in so I could make a big one :).

There are many ways to make these but I think mine turn out pretty cute and are fairly easy. Here's what I do:


Cut a piece of cardboard into a circle shape for your cake platter then cover with tin foil (some actually buy real cake platters but this is much cheaper and it still turns out cute)


Next roll size 1 and 2 diapers (I only use size one for the top layer) from open end to closed and hold with a small rubber band (lil girl pony tail holders work well). You can roll the diapers with the design panel facing out or in just depends on how colorful you want your cake to be.


Using a large rubber band arrange rolled diapers into circular layers. Then use packing tape to stick them to the platter and in between layers.


Place outfits, toys, bath items, etc. around the cake.


Use colorful ribbon to hide runner bands. Wired ribbon makes really pretty bows (especially for left handers like me).


And you are done!! You can spend as much or as little as you want on these depending on the diaper brand and how large you want to make it. This one has about 110 diapers and cost about $115, but I used Pampers and have three outfits and the blanket made it spendy. Like i said if 6 or so people put in 20 bucks it turns into a really nice gift for the mama :)

No comments: